If you are interested in using some organic, eco-friendly oils for cooking or for improving the health of your hair and skin, there is a rich plethora of alternatives to look into. Without a doubt, options like olive oil, along with other vegetable oils have crossed your mind more than once. Maybe you have even tried them a few times, but weren’t completely satisfied with the results. Or maybe you are now searching for something superior in terms of sustainability and benefits to support your eco-friendly lifestyle.
This is where organic coconut oil comes into the picture, with its numerous benefits, most of them backed by officially recognized research.
To help you understand the main organic coconut oil benefits, as well as the difference between fractionated coconut oil vs coconut oil and other interesting details on coconut virgin oil, this mini-guide should come in handy to you.
What Is Organic Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is obtained with the help of cold-pressed methods or expeller-pressed procedures that rely on environments where the heat is properly controlled and usually maintained below 120 degrees, as well as mechanical presses.
The majority of oil are extracted with the help of solvent extraction procedures that rely on hexane, which is an extremely hazardous chemical used to change the flavor of the oil from plants and seeds.
It is true that cold-pressed and expeller-pressed methods to extract coconut oil will generate smaller amounts of oil compared to their solvent-based counterparts. However, you will benefit from more flavor, more nutrients, and an overall higher quality of the oil. In other words, you have every reason to opt for organic coconut oil that has obtained with the help of these techniques so you can benefit from all the amazing properties of this oil.
Unrefined VS Refined Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is normally obtained using the dry art of the coconut, referred to as the copra. The copra is often times refined in order to produce oil. When this occurs and the copra is also processed at 400 degrees, there is a naturally-occurring process that consists of the deodorizing and bleaching, in order for the specific flavors and scents to be completely removed.
Refined coconut oils can also be partially or completely hydrogenated, which will in turn trigger the apparition of trans-fats that are known to have negative effects on cholesterol. These are some of the reasons why it is advisable to opt for unrefined coconut oil, often times referred to as virgin coconut oil.
Virgin or unrefined coconut oil is the oil that has been extracted from fresh copra instead of the dry alternative. This happens with the help of a quick drying method using wet milling or mechanical presses, which will, in turn, trigger the fermentation and separation of liquids.
This is a speedy procedure that does not need to use any additives, high temperatures, or any bleaching and deodorizing procedures. The resulting oil is left with a very authentic and pleasant coconut taste. You may notice some labels that read “virgin coconut oil” and others that read “extra-virgin coconut oil” and you might be wondering what is the difference between the two. In reality, there is no actual difference between the two.
Uses of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has many surprising benefits for the skin, teeth, face, and our overall health. Here are a few of most popular of them:
The Effects of Coconut Oils On the Skin and Hair
- Coconut oil protects your skin from around 20% of the harmful UV rays responsible for wrinkles as well as an increased risk of skin cancer.
- Coconut oil relieves most forms of skin rashes, dermatitis and eczema, with results similar to mineral oils.
- Oils from Coconuts are also excellent for moisturizing the skin on your arms, legs, and elbows. legs, arms, and elbows. It is also a great face moisturizer. Just make sure your skin is not very oily.
- These oils can be used to fix any cracked heel issues by applying an overnight mask on the feet.
- Coconut oil keeps your hair protected from damage caused by protein loss by using it prior to or after applying the shampoo. Thanks to the Lauric acid it contains, the oil penetrates the hair shaft and ensures good damage repair.
- The oil also has satisfying effects on improving the way your cuticles look and it can also be used as a remover for eye makeup and a cool lip balm.
- Coconut oil together with other natural oils makes for a great antibacterial deodorant with zero harsh chemicals that can be easily manufactured at home.
What Does Coconut Oil Do to Your Overall Health?
Thanks to its high content in specific triglyceride fatty acids, coconut oil is an excellent source of energy that will not affect the levels of sugar in the blood, which is particularly important for diabetics. Coconut oil is also great at reducing the inflammation in the body as well as the oxidative stress markers.
A mix of coconut oil and Thai essential oils can offer up to 98% protection from nasty mosquito bites and insect stinging.
Fractionated Coconut Oil VS Coconut Oil
In short, fractioned coconut oil is a type of oil obtained from regular coconut oil and it is a good source of medium-chain triglycerides as it providing the body with important fatty acids that consist of 6 up to 12 atoms of carbon.
However, fractioned coconut oil does not contain the 12-carbon lauric acid which is the main type of fatty acid found in regular coconut oil. This is because most of it has been removed from the fractionated version of the oil. The same goes for the long-chain fatty acids and the main manufacturing process is called fractionation at different fat melting points of fats with the purpose of separating and eliminating them.
Organic Coconut Oil Benefits
Coconut oil is made of 90 percent saturated fat, but is also it contains a series of medium-chain fatty acids with excellent proven effects on promoting better health. Here are a few of the most important benefits of organic coconut oil you should know:
- Helps you lose weight and promote your health. Coconut oil boosts and regulates the metabolism to maintains your weight under control.
- Strengthens the immune system. Since it contains large amounts of Lauric acid known to support the immune system, it is a great aid in your fights against viruses and bacteria.
- Keeps your heart healthy. Since it contains lots of healthy fats, adding it to your daily diet will keep your heart in better condition.
- Stimulates the secretion of insulin. Organic coconut oil help balance the use of glucose and the output of insulin, which can relieve some symptoms associated to diabetes and cut reduce some of the related health risks.
- Gives you instant energy. Get rid of the lack of energy and fatigued sensation out experience frequently and enjoy enhanced performances during your workouts.
- Promotes a healthy thyroid. Organic coconut oil helps stimulate the thyroid gland and helps you feel more energetic, while promoting the health of your skin, improving your metabolism, and maintaining your mood well balanced.
- Maintains your hair and skin looking. Opt for organic coconut oil for hair and organic coconut oil for skin and enjoy shiny, healthy-looking hair, skin and nails thanks to the enhanced moisturizing properties of this oil.
- Helps the cells grow faster. Cell regeneration can be amplified with the help of coconut oil due to its effect on the metabolic rate. It can also protect the body from free radicals and it has excellent anti-fungi, antibacterial, and anti-viral properties.
Yes, virgin or organic coconut oil effectively stimulates the metabolism and offers an instant source of energy, helping you more calories, which makes it a good aid in the diet of people trying to lose weight.
Yes, coconut oil helps minerals, vitamins and other nutrients absorb at faster rates, especially when consumed together with fatty acids such as Omega-3.